The 11 Best Beauty Products You’ve Never Heard Of.
Hidden among the hundreds of products released by skincare and makeup brands every year are a few elite items that beauty professionals have come to rely on. They are not necessarily the most well-known products or the ones with the biggest celebrity ad campaigns, but makeup pros reach for these items time and time again. Here’s a short list of hidden pro favourites and what each one can do for you.
- Lip line specialist: Chanel Ultra Correction Lift Plumping Anti-wrinkle Lips & Contour
This is a miracle product that instantly helps to fill in fine lines and wrinkles around the lips. If you find that your lipstick tends to bleed, this product may be for you. It’s especially good for smokers who often form lip lines earlier. The trick is to gently dab the product onto the lips and let the heat from your skin melt it into the fine lines. It instantly smoothes wrinkles and allows lip liner and lipstick to stay put.
- The complexion perfector: Clinique Beyond Perfecting Foundation + Concealer
Smooth on as a foundation or spot-apply like a concealer. This is the perfect product for those who want full coverage, yet lightweight texture. The breathable formula adapts to skin’s needs with dual-sphere particles that absorb excess oil or add hydration. Dry patches are treated to extra hydration and shiny areas are matted with oil-absorbing particles. “A common mistake with foundation is applying too much,” says Clinique Global Colour Artist, Jenna Menard. “This is where the unique applicator comes in handy. It controls the amount of product being applied so you don’t overdo it.”
- The illuminator: MAC Strobe Cream
If you’ve watched any runway fashion shows from Paris, Milan or New York over the past three years, you’ll know that the majority have featured nude makeup. It’s all about gorgeous skin. What you may not know is that many, many of those runway models are sporting MAC Strobe Cream: a moisturizer with light reflecting qualities that can help banish the appearance of fine lines and imperfections. (It’s rumored that Camilla Parker-Bowles wore this on her wedding day when she married HRH Prince Charles.) Use it as an all over highlighter, or simply on the inside corners of your eyes for a wide-awake look.
- Lip prep professional: Estée Lauder Lip Conditioner
There’s a secret that most pro-artists use to ensure that lipstick lasts all day (or all night in the case of gala events): lip conditioner. Applying a coat of lip conditioner under lipstick will extend its wear and keep the colour true. Estée Lauder’s lip conditioner is a great choice to team with any lipstick. Apply it before you start your makeup. By the time you’re ready for lipstick, the conditioner will have done its work and your lipstick will last all day.
- The traveler: Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick
Bobbi created this portable foundation stick 22 years ago and still calls it her “secret weapon. She uses it on photo shoots, at Fashion Week and even on herself. It can be worn all over the face or just used as a touch-up where needed. It looks good on all skin types and tones, plus the extensive palette of 19 shades is a hit with makeup artists.
- The finisher: NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powder (loose powder)
NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powder (pressed powder)
Pro artists swear by this powder to create a soft, matte finish. It contains an exclusive “Light Reflecting Complex” that works to restore skin’s youthful radiance by focusing on three sources of skin’s luminosity: cellular, surface and external. Together with potent botanicals, this product diminishes the signs of aging and provides a perfect finish for every makeup application.
- Lip shine superstar: Guerlain Gloss d’Enfer
This maxi-shine lip gloss formula can be used over bare lips or layered over coloured gloss or lipstick. It intensifies shine and creates that coveted “red carpet” lip.
8. Lancôme Blush Subtil Palette – Highlighting, contouring and blush in one product. You can use the highlighter to wake up the eyes if you don’t have time to apply eyeshadow. Colour “Nectar Lace” is comparable to Orgasm by NARS.
9. Clarins Fix Plus – A refreshing mist that sets makup and prolongs its hold, Fix Plus is a pro makeup artist secret weapon for gala events. It helps refresh skin while ensuring makeup stays on.
10. Diorskin Air Flash Spray Foundation – This ultra-light foundation creates an airbrushed effect thanks to a micro-diffusion system. A fine mist of foundation offers a soft, velvety complexion. Apply from the can for light finish or with a Kabuki brush for more coverage. It’s ideal for hiding acne scars and skin irregularities.
11. Elizabeth Arden Prevage Lash Enhancing Serum – There have been many lash enhancing serums over the past decade – the most famous being Latisse. But Arden’s Lash Enhancing serum is seriously good. It really does help grow lashes and it helps with sparse brows as well. Well worth the money.
Valarie Lee GentryFebruary 17, 2015 at 12:40 pm
I would love to try the Elizabeth Arden Prevage Lash Enhancing Serum! I am always trying to find ways to make my lashes longer! The Guerlain Gloss d’Enfer looks amazing! The color is stunning! I’ve heard awesome things about NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powder! I need Clarins Fix Plus! I don’t use setting spray but I definitely need to for those long nights out! I’ve never heard of MAC Strobe Cream but I want to try it!! It sounds amazing! I’ve always used a little bit of concealer under my lipstick but Estée Lauder Lip Conditioner could do the trick!
spiderwebber8February 12, 2015 at 3:27 pm
Love this Thank You
FlorenzaFebruary 11, 2015 at 10:24 pm
Love this. Thanks for posting.
Janet MoultonFebruary 11, 2015 at 5:02 pm
I must try list!
Especially, Lip line specialist: Chanel Ultra Correction Lift Plumping Anti-wrinkle Lips & Contour
AmyFebruary 11, 2015 at 3:41 pm
The Dior spray foundation sound intruiging would love to try
kristiFebruary 11, 2015 at 9:36 am
All of them look amazing!Thanks for the chance Dave.
Diane K.February 11, 2015 at 7:25 am
Hi Dave, Do you think Prevage lash grower is better than revitalash> Years ago, I began using revitalash and it was absolutely fabulous. When they changed the formula, it just didn’t have the oomph it once had. Do you prefer prevage over revitalash>
From your “TS”
Pattie CowanFebruary 11, 2015 at 1:02 pm
I’ve been using the Prevage for 22 days. Not sure how long it is supposed to take to see results. Nothing yet, but I am keeping at it. Invoking the power of positive thinking!