How to create an Ombré Lip
The Trend: Two-toned lip colours that blend into one another
The Cities: Milan, London, Paris
The Events: Paris Pret-a-Porter F/W 16, Milan Fashion Week F/W 16, London Fashion Week F/W 16
The look: Ombré Lip: Using two or more lip colours to create a gradiated effect. The lip colours fade into one another.
As seen on the Catwalks of: Antonio Marras, Veronique Leroy, Stella Jean, Rick Owens, Lacoste, I’m Isola Marras, Andreas Kronthaler for Vivienne Westwood,
Beauty Trend: One of the most interesting runway beauty trends for fall is this deep ombré lip that was seen at Antonio Marras and Creatures of the Wild. It was most often shown in deep raspberry and blackcurrant shades for dramatic effect. But this could easily by recreated in pinks and neutrals. The key is to combine two shades of lip colour – one shade on the inner lip and one on the outer. A clear lipliner keeps the shape. And the rest of the makeup is kept neutral – highlighted skin and groomed brows.
Dior’s Peter Philips creating a red look on Natalie Portman
How to create an ombré lip
- Start by prepping the lips. You need a smooth lip surface to pull this look off. Take a dry, soft toothbrush and gently brush you lips. Wipe with a damp tissue.
- Prepare lips with a swipe of clear lip balm. This will prolong the colour significantly and help the colour to set.
- Apply your favourite lipstick shade right from the bullet.
- Line lips with a darker lipliner and blend into the lipstick using short strokes
- Finish with slightly lighter lip shade as a highlighter. You’ll want to apply a little to the center of the lips top and bottom. Blend slightly.
- A clear lipliner will keep the shape and colour in place.
Dior Ombré Lip Master Class
Three ways to experiment with 2017’s dual-toned lip trend.
Create Dior’s Arty Lip Look
Here’s a scene-stealing look pairing bright pink and rich purple.
- To start, apply Rouge Dior lipstick in Miss, a bright pink shade.
- Next, apply Rouge Dior lipstick in Visionary along the upper lip line focusing on the external areas. Don’t apply it to the lower lip or the effect will be too bold.
- Bite your lips and delicately blend with your fingertips. The effect is subtle and pretty.
Rouge Dior in Miss, $43
Rouge Dior in Visionary, $43
Dior’s Modern Red Ombré Lip
Reinvent your red lip this season but creating this red + grey ombré effect. It tones down a bold red lip in a creative manner.
- Apply Rouge Dior lipstick in Red Smile, a fresh red shade.
- Take the new Rouge Dior lipstick in “Montaigne”, a cool grey shade and apply just to the center of the lips, top and bottom.
- Delicately blend the grey into the red on the upper and lower lips. The result is an elegant and sophisticated look.
Rouge Dior in Red Smile, $43
Rouge Dior in Montaigne, $43
Dior’s Silver Reflections Lips
Love a nude lip? Here’s a modern twist on the classic natural lip that amps up the style factor.
- Start with Dior Lip Glow Balm to hydrate and enhance your own lip colour.
- A coat of Dior Lip Maximizer will add volume and high shine.
- Finish by applying a little Rouge Dior in Montaigne to the external contours of lips. Blend gently with your fingers. You want the grey hue only along the lip line.
Dior Lip Glow, $41
Dior Lip Maximizer, $41
Rouge Dior in Montaigne, $43
Dior beauty is available in Canada at select Hudson’s Bay stores and thebay.com Visit a Dior counter at Hudson’s Bay during the month of January and learn how to create any one of these looks.